Monday, February 14, 2005

valentine's scrooge


chris and me Posted by Hello

it’s valentine's day. and like the rest of the female population, i am expecting an elaborate surprise or gift from my boyfriend. what can i do when all the love stories that i get to watch or read about portray men who would move heaven and earth for the woman that they love? i shamelessly crave for all those over-sentimental lines and mushy gimmicks. you guessed it, i am one of those hopeless romantics. actually, i think everyone is. some people just don’t want to admit it. we all want someone to sweep us off our feet and overwhelm us with their love until our hearts burst into a million peices.

i actually found someone who has literally blown me away. he has done so many things for me that will rival anything that any filipino or foreign actor has ever done in a movie for their leading lady. take for example valentine’s of 2003. after dinner in top of the citi, he brought me to his house but made me wait in his car first before going in. when i did go in, it was completely dark except for dozens of candles that were lit to create a pathway going up to his room. in the background was the song “out of my league” by stephen speaks. when i got in his room (which was also filled with candles), there was a cake waiting for me. he then turned on the tv and played a short video that he made for me. it was actually a talk-show wherein he was interviewed by his friends (all guys) about us and how much he loved me. the best part was that he openly talked about all those things in front of his friends. as we all know, guys try so hard to exude a macho image, especially when their friends are around. anyway, my point is, “pang movies” talaga the whole thing. except that is was better. way better.

this valentine's, i have to admit that i’ve been a major brat. i guess i just got used to being given the royal treatment and i have to admit that my expectations are kinda high. i’ve been blatantly hinting about it since december! we actually have great plans- a couples massage in neo spa and then dinner afterwards. for a time, i secretly thought that there was more to our night, maybe a surprise or two. my boyfriend kept telling me that there wasn’t any. and that he was very sorry. it’s just that there are bigger, and more important things that he is actually saving up for. not just for him, but for us.

at first, i was a bit disappointed. i guess i kinda equated his love for me with flowers, chocolates, candles and romantic dinners. it’s valentine's day after all. then i realized that those things aren’t necessarily love at all. love is braving edsa during rush hour everyday (even if you're sick) just to be with me for a few hours. it’s watching sappy tagalog movies and teleseryes with me even if you hate it with passion. it’s giving me the best part of the fried chicken and the last bite of the burger. i can’t believe how petty and superficial i was! how can I not realize what’s truly important?

bay, im sorry for being such a whining brat. those little things that you do (that I sometimes take for granted) are what really makes you special. our story will always be better than any of the most romantics movies ever. you know why? because you’re real…and we’re real. and nothing can ever change that. i love you so much. happy valentine's day!